Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Perfect Trait

Imperfection.

A satirical piece, sorta.

Blessed as I am to be given the traits that perfection could not afford. Imperfection bought them and I have never been happier. I carry with me the qualities that make me truly unique. I judge not by the book cover, unless it's horribly covered in pink taffeta and glitter. I prefer the macaroni covers best, though, as they scream "I was hand-crafted" much more clearly than a glossy print with airbrushed ta-ta's. I believe there is a difference between true blondes and true brunettes. A perfect person in their perfect world may never see such a difference - their eyes so fixated on keeping THEIR life perfect, they never see the other things around them. I, on the other hand, can be slightly stereotypical in my moments of weakness and accuse a girl of being dumb because her roots are showing. Now my fair-haired friends, I do not throw these stereotypes on to YOU. I throw them to those whom I do not know and whom I narrowly misjudge because, as I said, I am imperfect.

My morals are high but I'm not a god. My efforts are genuine and sincere, but I know my flaws exist. I embrace these things about myself and walk with my head high - but not too high because I really hate not seeing the crack in the concrete and fear falling while wearing heels.

I have broken hearts and had mine broken as well. I have tried to kick a wall, but really it only left me with a really sore foot. I have spoken like a sailor and made out with boys under intoxication levels I know my sister would not be proud of. But these faults only make me look utterly imperfect - of which I adore.

I know the evils of perfection as they tried to kick my ass when I was younger. Therapy fixed it. Therapy told me that it was better to be imperfect than perfect because being imperfect allowed for you to see your flaws, accept them, maybe square them a bit so the corners were not so rough, and make them the best part of your personality. Because who wants a perfectly squared life where mistakes are never made, life lessons are never learned, and you are never blessed with a day from hell for which you learn the term "mental vacation"?

Imperfection, to me, is one of the better characteristics to carry. I can have an error and it won't put me in a tizzy of guilt. I can laugh and snort and not be embarrassed because people are then laughing AT me, instead of with me. I can even have physical flexibilities, or in-flexibilities, that make me so ODD and imperfect that I could cringe in embarrassment, but I don't. You wanna know why? Because all the cool kids are imperfect and frankly, I think it's way better than being perfect. My grammar may suck, my spelling may kill, but at least when I fall I can laugh and when I punch my brother and it hurts my knuckles, we both can laugh at the stupidity of the situation.

Oh yeah....

And lastly, I would just like to note, that well-rounded and strong fan-based band, namely Better Than Ezra, wrote a beautiful song... Imperfect. And you know what they wrote about??? loving a chick who was completely imperfect because being perfect, being "a little fixed up", means "you're a little less pretty."

Ha! :-)

1 comment:

C-$ said...

You win... this time.